Manuals and Technical Drawings
Conditions of concrete and meteorological conditions
- SUPERSHIELD treatments should not be applied in case of rain or when the ambient temperature drops below 4 ° C.
- Since SUPERSHIELD requires moisture to initiate the crystallization process, both new and old concrete must be saturated with water before application (See specific paragraph below)
- The concrete surface to be treated with SUPERSHIELD must have been cast for at least 20 hours before proceeding with the application
- In the case of freshly poured concrete, the optimal period for application is from 24 to 72 hours after casting, as the surface is still wet and little wetting is required. For existing concrete, the provisions of point 2 apply. Previous.
Quantity of product per square meter
For surfaces under normal conditions, the amount of product to be used for each pass is 0.75 kg. / sqm.
- The surface of the concrete to be treated must be clean and free from efflorescence, dirt, films, paints, coatings and other foreign matter. The surface capillaries must be open for the SUPERSHIELD treatment to penetrate
- If the surface is too smooth (for example when steel formwork is used) or if the surface is covered with oil or other foreign matter, the concrete should be lightly sandblasted, or pressure washed, or treated with muriatic acid. (HCl).
- Horizontal surfaces should feel like fine sandpaper, or be slightly rough. The efflorescence must be eliminated from the surface as described in the previous point.
- Surfaces to be treated with muriatic acid must be saturated with water before applying the acid. After passing the acid wash thoroughly with clean water.
- Cracks, defective construction joints and other structural defects must be cut and excavated to a depth of 4 cm. and a width of 2.5 cm. along their entire length
- Then apply a brush stroke of SUPERSHIELD CRYSTALGUARD (as described below) in the cavity obtained and let it dry for 10 minutes
- Fill the cavity by pressing well CRYSTALGROUT to a consistency of thick mastic, using a board and a hammer or a pneumatic compression tool (see below for the mixing instructions of CRYSTALGROUT).
- In case of active water leaks or dripping moisture, use SUPERSHIELD CRYSTALPATCH instead of CRYSTALGROUT, followed by a brush stroke of SUPERSHIELD CRYSTALGUARD. For expansion joints or continuously moving cracks, flexible materials such as expansion sealing joints should be used. Refer to the SUPERSHIELD Repair Procedures for more details.
Hydration of the surface to be treated
SUPERSHIELD requires a saturated substrate and a moist surface. The surface of the concrete, therefore, must be completely saturated with clean water before applying the products, in order to allow the treatment to generate the crystalline formation in the pores of the concrete. Remove excess water from the surface before applying the product. If the surface is dry before application, it must be wetted again.
- Mix SUPERSHIELD only with clean water (water that is free of salt or other chemicals)
- Mix the water with the SUPERSHIELD product with an electric mixer at low speed (250 rpm) or with other equipment that ensures adequate mixing. For small SUPERSHIELD jobs by hand (with gloves) or with a trowel.
- Make sure the mixed amount can be applied within 20 minutes. As the mixture tends to thicken, keep mixing but do not add water.
Mixing for Grout Coating
Mix the SUPERSHIELD product with clean water to a creamy consistency in the following proportions by volume:
For brush application
0.65 – 0.8 kg. / sqm., corresponding to 5 parts of product and 2 of water
1.0 kg. / sqm. , corresponding to 3 parts of product and 1 of water
For spray application
0.65 – 0.8 kg. / sqm., corresponding to 5 parts of product and 3 parts of water (the ratio may change according to the type of equipment used)
Mixing the CRYSTALGROUT
To fill grooves and joints and patch up the concrete surface, add water to SUPERSHIELD CRYSTALGROUT (1 part of water for 4 parts of product by volume). To prepare a compound with a thick mortar consistency, proceed as follows. Start by mixing 3 parts of product with 1 of water by volume, until the mixture becomes soft (minimum mix for 2 minutes). Then add 1 part of product and continue mixing until a workable mortar consistency is obtained and continue mixing as needed. Do not mix more product than can be applied within 20 minutes.
- Apply SUPERSHIELD with a semi-rigid nylon brush or a scrubbing brush (for large horizontal surfaces) or with professional spray equipment. Contact your local SUPERSHIELD representative for more information.
- SUPERSHIELD coating should be applied evenly and should be less than 1.25mm thick. A thick coating can cause difficulties for subsequent treatment, especially in high temperatures.
- When a second coat is applied (SUPERSHIELD CRYSTALGUARD or SUPERSHIELD CRYSTALGUARD ULTIMA), it must be applied when the first is still fresh (less than 48 hours). It is necessary to slightly wet the surface if the second pass is carried out after 48 hours.
- For application on horizontal platforms, care must be taken to spread the material evenly, pulling it with a heavy broom when the product is fresh. This must be done in long strips and serves to eliminate SUPERSHIELD deposits in the lowest points of the platform and to remove any excess material applied.
- With high temperatures (over 30 ° C) it is advisable to apply SUPERSHIELD either early in the morning or in the evening. This will prevent the SUPERSHIELD coating from drying too quickly
Use of additives – user manuals
Superhield Admix must be added to the concrete at the time of mixing. The sequence of procedures for adding the additive are different depending on the type of blending operation and the equipment.
MIXING IN THE CONCRETE MIXER IN THE CONCRETE PLANT – DRY OPERATION
Pour SUPERSHIELD Admix 200 in powder form into the drum of the truck mixer in the calculated quantity. Bring the truck mixer under the mixing plant and add the proportion of materials in accordance with standard mixing procedures for concrete. Mix the materials for a minimum of 5 minutes to ensure SUPERSHIELD Admix 200 is completely dispersed into the concrete.
MIXING IN THE CONCRETE MIXER IN THE CONCRETE PLANT – DILUTION
Mix SUPERSHIELD ADMIX 200 with water to obtain a fine grout (eg 8-10 kg of powder mixed with 15 liters of water). Place the quantity thus obtained of Admix diluted in the drum of the truck mixer. The aggregate, cement and water must be dosed and mixed in the system in the usual way (taking into consideration the amount of water already mixed with Admix). Mix the poured concrete in the concrete mixer truck for at least 5 minutes to ensure even distribution of SUPERSHIELD ADMIX 200.
MIXING IN THE CONCRETE MIXER ON SITE
SUPERSHIELD Admix 200 can be added as a final product in the concrete mixer truck directly on site, in two different forms (in powder or diluted with water)
POWDER: slowly add the calculated quantity of SUPERSHIELD Admix 200 to the truck mixer tank while it is in mixing mode and mix for at least 10 minutes to ensure a uniform distribution of SUPERSHIELD Admix 200 in the concrete.
DILUTED: mix SUPERSHIELD Admix 200 with water to obtain a fine grout (1 part of water with 2 parts of powder). In this way, only about 1 liter of water will be added for every cubic meter of concrete; the water content in the grout can be reduced if necessary). Pour the grout into the truck mixer when it is mixing and mix for a minimum of 5 minutes to ensure a uniform distribution of SUPERSHIELD Admix 200 in the concrete.
MIXING IN A CONCRETE PLANT
Add SUPERSHIELD ADMIX 200 to the gravelly and sandy aggregate, then mix for 2-3 minutes before adding cement and water. The mass of the concrete must be mixed according to the usual practices.
Note : It is important to obtain a homogeneous mixture of SUPERSHIELD ADMIX 200 with the concrete. Therefore, do not add ADMIX dry powder directly to the wet concrete in order not to cause clumping and poor dispersion of the product.